[Colloquium] Talk by Joe Kilian, NEC Research Labs

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Jan 9 09:49:08 CST 2004

---

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE - TALK

Date: Wednesday, January 21, 2004
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251

----

Speaker: JOE KILIAN, NEC Research Labs
http://external.nj.nec.com/homepages/joe/

Title: Achieving Obliviousness - The Theory of Secure Computation

Abstract:

Conventional cryptography provides strongboxes for our secrets.
However, information often must be combined with other information to
be useful, and to do that we have to take it out of hiding.  Or do we?
For the last two decades, researchers have developed the field of
secure computation, in which secrets are combined while minimizing as
much as possible the information leaked.  I will survey the basics of
secure computation and discuss some of my own work on this subject.

HOST: Prof. Lance Fortnow

*Refreshments will follow the talk in Ryerson 255*

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.