[Colloquium] Eric Xing on Wednesday, March 3, 2004

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 25 15:25:08 CST 2004

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

Date: Wednesday, March 3, 2004
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251

Speaker:  ERIC XING,  University of California, Berkeley

Title:  Probabilistic graphical models and algorithms for genomic
analysis

Abstract:

I discuss two probabilistic modeling problems arising in metazoan
genomic analysis: identifying motifs and cis-regulatory modules (CRMs)
from transcriptional regulatory DNA sequences, and inferring haplotypes
from genotypes of single nucleotide polymorphisms. Motif and CRM
identification is important for understanding the gene regulatory
network underlying metazoan development and functioning. I discuss a
modular Bayesian model that captures rich structural characteristics of
the transcriptional regulatory sequences and supports a variety of
tasks such as learning motif representations, model-based motif and CRM
prediction, and de novo motif detection. Haplotype inference is
essential for the understanding of genetic variation within and among
populations, with important applications to the genetic analysis of
disease propensities and other complex traits. I discuss a Bayesian
model based on a prior constructed from a Chinese restaurant process --
a nonparametric prior which provides control over the size of the
unknown pool of population haplotypes, and on a likelihood that allows
statistical errors in the haplotype/genotype relationship. Our models
use the "probabilistic graphical model" formalism, a formalism that
exploits the conjoined talents of graph theory and probability theory
to build complex models out of simpler pieces. I discuss the
mathematical underpinnings for the models, how they formally
incorporate biological prior knowledge about the data, and the related
computational issues.

Bio:

Eric Xing received his B.S. with honors in Physics and Biology from
Tsinghua university, his Ph.D. in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
from Rutgers University and will soon complete his Ph.D. in Computer
Science at UC Berkeley. His early work in molecular biology focused on
the genetic mechanisms of human carcinogenesis and the mutational
spectrum of tumor suppressor genes. Then he moved into machine learning
and has worked on probabilistic graphical models, approximate inference
and pattern recognition. He is interested in studying biological
problems (in particular, systems biology, genetic inference and
evolution) using statistical learning approaches, theory and
application of graphical models, nonparametric Bayesian analysis and
semi-unsupervised learning.

Host: STUART KURTZ

***Refreshments will follow the talk in Ryerson 255***

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.