[Colloquium] Reminder: today's talk by Kai Chen, UIUC

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 19 10:21:09 CST 2004

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
(A JOINT TALK WITH TTI-C)

Date: Thursday, February 19, 2004
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251

Speaker:  KAI CHEN

From: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Title: A Joint Flow Control and Incentive Engineering Solution
for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks

Abstract:

In a multi-hop mobile ad hoc network, users may be selfish and refuse
to forward packets for others. Therefore, an incentive mechanism must
be in place. In this work, we propose a scheme (called iPass) to
compensate the users by monetary rewards using a variant of the
second-price Vickrey auction. Each router functions as an auction
market, and the passing flows compete for bandwidth at each router.
Each flow then pays the market price of packet forwarding to the
intermediate routers. We prove that several global properties can be
achieved in iPass, such as truthful bidding of user's utility. At the
same time, iPass serves as an effective explicit flow control solution
for this network. Routers explicitly notify the sender its allowed data
sending rate via an in-band signaling protocol. Therefore, it is a
joint flow control and incentive engineering solution in a
non-cooperative ad hoc network environment.

  Time permitting, I will also discuss my other research in
location-guided overlay multicast in dynamic topology networks, and
some experience in building an adaptive audio streaming application in
a peer-to-peer ad hoc LAN test-bed using Linux laptops with 802.11b
cards.

  Papers related to this talk:
http://cairo.cs.uiuc.edu/~kaichen/apply/papers/5-icdcs2004.pdf
http://cairo.cs.uiuc.edu/~kaichen/apply/papers/10-infocom2002.pdf
http://cairo.cs.uiuc.edu/~kaichen/apply/papers/1-monet2004.pdf

  Biography:

  Kai Chen is a Ph.D. candidate at the Computer Science department of
the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. His research interests
are in the areas of network and distributed systems, with an emphasis
on mobile ad hoc networks, wireless networks, protocol design in
non-cooperative networks, and mobile computing. From 1998 to 2000, he
worked as a research programmer at the National Center for
Supercomputing Applications (NCSA), conducting distributed application
support and developments. He received a M.S. degree in Computer Science
from the University of Delaware in 1998, and a B.Engr. degree in
Computer Science from Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, in 1995.

Host: IAN FOSTER

*Refreshments will follow the talk in Ryerson 255*

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.