[Colloquium] Osadchy talk - Tues. Feb. 17th 2:30 at TTI

Meridel Trimble mtrimble at tti-c.org
Fri Feb 13 20:07:48 CST 2004

TOYOTA TECHNOLOGICAL INSTITUTE TALK

Speaker: Margarita Osadchy
NEC Labs

Speaker’s homepage: http://www.cs.haifa.ac.il/~gamer/

Time: 2:30pm
Date: Tuesday, February 17th
Place: TTI-C (1427 E. 60th St. – Press Building)
*REFRESHMENTS PROVIDED*

Title: Illumination Insensitive Methods of Visual Comparison

Abstract: Image comparison is a fundamental component in many computer vision
tasks such as recognition, alignment and tracking. Variation in lighting is
critical to image comparison, because it dramatically affects the appearance
of an object in an image. Current methods approach this problem by focusing on
effects created by discontinuities in matte objects, which are insensitive to
lighting changes. However this approach is very limited because it treats
other effects as unmodeled noise, including the effects of smooth, untextured
surfaces and the effects of shiny objects that produce significant highlights.
These are present in most real objects. I show that these properties can be
modeled, and they provide a rich source of information. I tackle the problem
presented by smooth surfaces with no edges or texture by using a whitening
tool from signal processing theory to design a superior measure of image
comparison. This can provide a component in a general comparison method that
also integrates past approaches. Recognition of shiny objects is also very
challenging, since the appearance of the highlights they produce changes
drastically with the viewing conditions. I show that using a simple
qualitative model of specular reflection I can judge the consistency of
specularities with 3D object geometry and use this consistency to identify
very challenging transparent objects such as wine glasses. Next, I integrate
this knowledge about the highlights with previous methods for matte objects.
This allows recognition of glossy, smooth objects, such as pottery, which are
very challenging for existing methods.

If you have questions, or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Meridel at 4-9873 or mtrimble at tti-c.org

For information on future TTI-C talks or events, please go to the TTI-C Events
page: http://www.tti-c.org/events.shtml