[Colloquium] Bottou talk - Mon. 10/27, 2:30 at TTI

Meridel Trimble mtrimble at tti-c.org
Fri Oct 24 14:52:18 CDT 2003

*TOYOTA TECHNOLOGICAL INSTITUTE TALK*
Time: 2:30pm (Not 12:15 as previously scheduled)
Date: October 27th, 2003

Speaker: Léon Bottou
NEC Research Institute
Speaker's homepage http://leon.bottou.org/

Title: Stochastic Gradient Learning Algorithms

A general framework for stochastic learning algorithms is first presented.
This framework encompasses the most common online learning algorithms in use
today, as illustrated by several examples.  The stochastic approximation theory
then provides general results describing the convergence of all these learning
algorithms at once.  Finally we consider situations where training data is
abundant and computing resources are comparatively scarce. We argue that
suitably designed stochastic learning algorithms asymptotically outperform
batch learning algorithm. Both theoretical and experimental evidences are
presented.

For further information, please contact Meridel (mtrimble at tti-c.org/834.9873)

*REFRESHMENTS PROVIDED*