[Colloquium] Zijiang Yang talk - Friday, May 23rd

Meridel Trimble mtrimble at tti-c.org
Mon May 19 09:31:11 CDT 2003

TOYOTA TECHNOLOGICAL INSTITUTE

Date: Friday May 23rd, 2003

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Place: Ryerson Hall 251

Speaker: Zijiang Yang
University of Pennsylvania

Title:  Reducing the Computational Requirements of Symbolic Model Checking

Abstract:
As the complexity of hardware/software designs continues to grow, formal
verification becomes the trend in industry. Verification techniques using
symbolic state space traversal rely on efficient algorithms based on Binary
Decision Diagram(BDD) for reachability computation. Unfortunately, BDD size is
very sensitive to the number of variables, variable ordering, and the nature of
the logic expressions being represented. In spite of a large body of work, the
current purely BDD-based approach has been unreliable for designs of realistic
size and functionality.

Instead of using pure symbolic method, we combine BDD-based and Boolean
Satisfiability (SAT)-based techniques in a single integrated framework.  In our
approach to reachability computation, we use BDDs to represent state sets, and
a Conjunction Normal Form(CNF) formula to represent the transition relation.
All the solutions are enumerated using a backtracking search algorithm for SAT
that exhaustively visits the entire space. However, rather than using SAT to
enumerate each solution all the way down to a leaf, we invoke BDD-based
algorithm at intermediate points within the SAT decision procedure, which
effectively obtains all solutions below that point in the search tree. This
patented technology, together with inactive clause removal and dynamic decision
partitioning, have been implemented in commercial verification system and shown
ability of verifying industrial designs.

*Refreshments will be served after the talk in Ryerson 255*

If you wish to meet with the speaker, please send e-mail to Meridel Trimble
mtrimble at uchicago.edu

Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago