ColloquiaReminder: talk by Adam Kalai today 2:30

Meridel Trimble mtrimble at tti-c.org
Wed Mar 5 10:39:47 CST 2003

--------

TOYOTA TECHNOLOGICAL INSTITUTE
--------

Date: Wednesday, March 5th, 2003

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Place: Ryerson Hall 251

Speaker: Adam Kalai, M.I.T.

Homepage:
http://www.mit.edu/~akalai/

Title: Efficiency and Simplicity via Randomness

Abstract: Randomized algorithms are often simpler and more efficient than their
deterministic counterparts. We first illustrate this with elementary
randomized algorithms for classic problems. For the remainder, we focus on
online algorithms, i.e. algorithms that adapt to an unknown environment. In
many such cases, randomness is provably necessary for good online
performance. In other cases, randomization can be used surprisingly to
analyze deterministic algorithms. Finally, we present an intuitive and
efficient randomized algorithm with optimal guarantees for a range of
online problems.

Some of the entertaining problems that we discuss are: pattern matching
with wildcards, the online driving-to-work problem, and online portfolios.

*Refreshments will be served after the talk in Ryerson 255*