ColloquiaTalk by Brian Cooper, Stanford - Friday, March 7th

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 28 15:20:10 CST 2003

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE - TALK

Friday, March 7, 2003 at 2:30 pm in Ryerson 251

Speaker: BRIAN COOPER, Stanford University
http://www-db.stanford.edu/~cooperb/

Title: "Data preservation in self-supervising networks"

Abstract:
An ever increasing amount of information is being stored digitally, and
people are becoming more and more dependent on it. However, very little is
understood about how to preserve digital information for long time
periods. Media failures, natural disasters and bankruptcy all conspire to
cause information loss over decades or centuries. I will talk about a
distributed digital archive I have developed to address this problem. This
system is based on a community of archives that trade data under the
principle of "I'll preserve your data if you preserve mine." These trades
result in an archive network that self-organizes into a reliable system,
self-tunes to improve efficiency, and self-heals after a failure. I'll
discuss the architecture of the system, and techniques for making trades
to achieve the highest reliability. I'll also sketch work I have done on
information discovery through peer-to-peer searches of the archive
network.

Host: Svetlozar Nestorov

*Refreshments will be served after the talk in Ryerson 255*

If you need assistance, please call 773-834-8977

Margery Ishmael
Secretary to the Chairman, Department of Computer Science
The University of Chicago
1100 E. 58th Street, Chicago, IL. 60637-1581
tel. 773.834.8977 fax. 773.702.8487