[Colloquium] Talk today (4/15--3:00) Jochen Konemann

Meridel Trimble mtrimble at tti-c.org
Tue Apr 15 08:49:44 CDT 2003

--------

TOYOTA TECHNOLOGICAL INSTITUTE
--------

Date: Tuesday, April 15th, 2003

Time: 3:00 p.m.

Place: Ryerson Hall 251

Speaker: Jochen Konemann
Carnegie Mellon University

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~jochen/

Title: Primal-dual meets local search: Approximating degree-bounded subgraph
problems

Abstract:
The main focus of my thesis research is the development of new techniques for
approximation algorithms for a class of degree-constrained subgraph problems.
This class of NP-hard problems arises as a natural generalization of classical
optimization problems such as the widely studied Minimum-cost spanning tree and
Steiner tree problems. In my talk I will concentrate on my most recent work (to
appear at STOC 2003):
We present a new bicriteria approximation algorithm for the degree-bounded
minimum-cost spanning tree problem: Given an undirected graph with nonnegative
edge weights and degree bounds $B_v>1$ for all vertices $v$, find a spanning
tree $T$ of minimum total edge-cost such that the maximum degree of each node
$v$ in $T$ is at most $B_v$. Our algorithm finds a tree in which the degree of
each node $v$ is $O(B_v+\log n)$ and the total edge-cost is at most a constant
times the cost of any tree that obeys all degree constraints.
Our previous algorithm [K. and Ravi STOC'02] with similar guarantees worked
only in the case of uniform degree bounds (i.e. $B_v=B$ for all vertices $v$).
While the new algorithm is based on ideas from Lagrangean relaxation as is our
previous work, it does not rely on computing a solution to a linear program.
Instead it uses a repeated application of Kruskal's MST algorithm interleaved
with a combinatorial update of approximate Lagrangean node-multipliers
maintained by the algorithm. These updates cause subsequent repetitions of the
spanning tree algorithm to run for longer and longer times, leading to overall
progress and a proof of the performance guarantee.
*Refreshments will be served after the talk in Ryerson 255*

If you wish to meet with the speaker, please send e-mail to Meridel Trimble
mtrimble at uchicago.edu