ColloquiaFrank McSherry - talk on Friday, May 10

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri May 3 17:32:30 CDT 2002

Friday, May 10, 2002
2:30 pm
Ryerson 251

FRANK MCSHERRY
University of Washington

"Data Mining via Spectral Analysis"

Much attention has recently been paid to the analysis of data by first
casting the data set as a matrix, and then considering its eigenvectors.
This spectral analysis of data has been applied successfully in many
domains; examples include Google's PageRank algorithm, Latent Semantic
Analysis, and Kernel PCA. However, the success of spectral analysis is
largely empirical, with little analytic understanding of why this approach
works so well.

In this talk I will present a general framework for data mining problems
and show how this framework justifies the application of spectral analysis.
Specifically, we will see that the problems of collaborative filtering, web
search, and data clustering fall into the framework and give rigorous
bounds on the performance of spectral analysis on each problem.
Furthermore, we will see how we can immediately translate ideas and
understanding developed through this framework into new algorithms which
address problems in graph theory and numerical analysis.

This research is joint work with Yossi Azar and Amos Fiat at Tel Aviv
University, Dimitris Achlioptas at Microsoft Research, and Anna Karlin and
Jared Saia at the University of Washington.
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/mcsherry

Host: Svetlozar Nestorov

*The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255*

Persons who need assistance should call 773.834.8977

If you wish to meet the speaker, please send e-mail to marge at cs.uchicago.edu

Margery Ishmael
Secretary to the Chairman, Department of Computer Science
The University of Chicago
tel. 773.834.8977  fax. 773.702.8487