ColloquiaSatyanarayana Lokam talk on July 18 (with abstract)

Nita Yack nitayack at midway.uchicago.edu
Fri Jul 12 11:44:15 CDT 2002

COMPUTER SCIENCE
The University of Chicago
TALK

Thursday, July 18, 2002
3:30 p.m.
Ryerson 251

Satyanarayana V. Lokam, Assistant Professor,
University of Michigan
(former UChicago graduate student)

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~satyalv/

Title: Lower Bounds for Locally Decodable Codes

Abstract:  An error-correcting code is said to be *locally  decodable* if a
randomized algorithm can recover any single bit of a message by reading
only a small number of symbols of a possibly corrupted encoding of
the  message. Locally decodable codes arise in several contexts in
computational complexity and cryptography: self-correcting computations,
probabilistically checkable proofs, conversion of  worst-case hardness to
average-case hardness in the construction of  pseudo-random generators,
communication complexity, and private  information retrieval.  Katz and
Trevisan (STOC 2000) showed that any such code $C:{0,1}^n --> \Sigma^m$,
mapping n-bit messages to m-symbol codewords over alphabet $\Sigma$, with a
decoding algorithm that makes at most $q$ probes must satisfy $m=
\Omega((n/ \log |\Sigma|)^{q/(q-1)})$. They assumed that the decoding
algorithm is non-adaptive, and left open the question of proving similar
bounds for adaptive decoders.  We extend the Katz--Trevisan bound to
adaptive  decoders. An important ingredient of our proof is a randomized
method for *smoothening* an adaptive decoding algorithm. Our poof uses the
*Second Moment Method*.

This is joint work with Amit Deshpande, Rahul Jain, T. Kavitha, and
Jaikumar Radhakrishnan.

Host: Laci Babai
*The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255*
Persons who need assistance should call 773-702-6614

Nita Yack
Departmental Administrator
Computer Science
Ry 151