ColloquiaTalk by Santosh Vempala on Friday May 11th

Marge Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue May 8 09:39:08 CDT 2001

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

Date: Friday, May 11th in Ryerson 251 at 2:30 p.m.

Speaker: Santosh Vempala,  Department of Mathematics, MIT

Title:  Solving linear and convex programs, easily.

Host: Stuart Kurtz

Abstract:
Grotchel, Lovasz and Schrijver showed that the Ellipsoid algorithm
can be used to optimize over any convex set specified by a separation
oracle. Here we present a simpler algorithm for convex optimization.
Our main tool is sampling by a random walk.
http://www-math.mit.edu/~vempala/

*This talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255*
If you would like to meet the speaker, please send e-mail to
marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Persons with disabilities who may need assistance, please call 773.834.8977

--
Margery Ishmael
Department of Computer Science

Tel. 773-834-8977  Fax. 773-702-8487