Talk by Gabriel Taubin - Wed. 17 January

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 3 11:09:30 CST 2001

Wednesday, 17 January at 2:30 pm in Ryerson (annex) 276

             Geometric Signal Processing
                 on Polygonal Meshes

                  by Gabriel Taubin

              IBM T.J. Watson Research Center

Abstract: Polygonal models, which are used in more and more graphics
applications today, are routinely generated by a variety of automatic
or semiautomatic methods such as surface reconstruction algorithms
from 3D scanned data, isosurface construction algorithms from
volumetric data, and photogrametric methods from aerial photography.
Polygonal models are also generated by interactive modeling systems.

In the first part of the talk I will give an overview of recent
projects. I will describe our work on 3D geometry compression and
progressive transmission of polygonal meshes, the adoption of this
technology by the MPEG-4 standard, and will demonstrate the first
product based on this technology. I wil also briefly describe our
Pieta project where Michelangelo's Florentine Pieta was 3D scanned and
a 3D model comprising not only geometry but also texture and color
information was reconstructed to support art historian Jack Wasserman
in his comprehensive study of the statue.

In the second part of this talk I will describe the signal processing
approach to denoise, edit, compress, transmit, and animate polygonal
meshes, and the theory supporting it. I will demonstrate practical
implementations, and applications to the reconstruction of very large
polygonal models from multiple 3D scans.