ColloquiaReminder: Colloquium - Ed Seidel, Max-Planck Institute at 2:30 today

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 13 10:45:01 CDT 2001

Friday, April 13 at 2:30 p.m. in Ryerson 251

EDWARD SEIDEL, MAX-PLANCK INSTITUTE
Head of Numerical Relativity Group

Title:  Cactus and Dynamic Grid Computing

Abstract:
The Grid has the potential to fundamentally change the way science
and engineering are done.  Aggregate power of computing resources
connected by networks of the Grid exceeds that of any single
supercomputer by many orders of magnitude.  At the same time, our
ability to carry out computations of the scale and level of detail
required, for example,  to study the Universe, or simulate a rocket
engine, are severely constrained by available computing power. Hence,
such applications should be one of the main driving forces behind the
development of Grid computing.  I will discuss some large scale
applications,  including simulations of colliding black holes, and
show how they are driving the development of collaborative and Grid
computing technology.  Applications are already being developed that
are not only aware of their needs, but also of the resources
available to them on the Grid.  They will be able to adapt themselves
automatically to respond to their changing needs, to spawn off tasks
on other resources, and to adapt to the changing characteristics of
the Grid including machine and network loads and availability.   I
will discuss a number of innovative scenarios for computing on the
Grid enabled by such technologies,  and demonstrate how close these
are to being a reality.
http://jean-luc.ncsa.uiuc.edu/People/Ed/

*The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255*
--
Margery Ishmael
Department of Computer Science

Tel. 773-834-8977  Fax. 773-702-8487