Advance Notice: Talk by Dr. Jiri Sgall - Monday, October 2nd

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 20 12:32:42 CDT 2000

         Department of Computer Science/The University of Chicago

                    Ryerson Hall -- 1100 E. 58th Street

                 COLLOQUIUM   ANNOUNCEMENT

Dr. Jiri Sgall, Mathematical Institute, Academy of Sciences of the Czech
Republic

Monday, 2 October at 2:30 in Ryerson 251
(To be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255)

Title: On-line algorithms for weighted server problems

Abstract: Server problems provide a framework for studying on-line
problems. In general, in a metric space, we are given a sequence of request
points, and upon each request we have to move one of our servers to the
given point. We measure the total distance travelled by the servers. In an
on-line problem, we must make a decision for each request immediately,
without knowing the future requests. Such a solution is then compared to
the best off-line solution which is obtained with advance knowledge of the
request sequence.

In this talk we survey some basic and recent results in this area, with
emphasis on the power of randomization and on various new variants of the
problem that have been introduced and studied recently. These include file
caching, the so called CNN problem, and the weighted server problem. We
present some new results for the last problem with two servers with
different costs; the distance traveled by each server is multiplied by its
cost. In uniform spaces (i.e., all distances equal), we are able to give an
optimal deterministic algorithm as well as the optimal memory-less
randomized algorithm. For general metric spaces, we prove
that no memory-less randomized algorithm can achieve performance within a
constant factor of the optimum and provide some partial results for the
deterministic algorithms.

Host: Prof. Laszlo Babai

Margery Ishmael
Department of Computer Science