Distinguished Colloquium: Vladimir Vapnik at 4:00pm on Monday, 4 December

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 28 14:55:56 CST 2000

Department of Computer Science/The University of Chicago

DISTINGUISHED COLLOQUIUM

Vladimir Vapnik, AT&T Labs
Monday, 4 December at 4:00 pm in Eckhart 202
(followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255)

Title: The problem of inductive inference, statistical analysis, and
computer learning

Abstract: In this talk I will discuss:
1. general models of inductive inference, (introduced by K. Popper),
2. theoretical models of statistical inference, (introduced by A. Kolmogorov)
3. applied (parametric) models of statistical inference (introduced by R.
Fisher), and
4. models of inference introduced in statistical learning theory.

I will try to show that in contrast to simplified version of inference used
in applied statistics, the principles of inference in statistical learning
theory are development of the classical ideas of induction discussed in
philosophy of science and theoretical models of statistics. I also will try
to show that this implies different approaches to constructing computer
learning algorithms.
*****
Host: Partha Niyogi

Margery Ishmael