CS/Linguistics Coloquium: Sean Fulop - Wed. 29 November at 2:30

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 20 15:12:19 CST 2000

CS/Linguistics COLLOQUIUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Wednesday, 29 November at 2:30 in Ryerson 276
(to be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255)

Sean Fulop, Visiting Assistant Professor with the Department of
Linguistics, University of Chicago

Title: Toward a unified theory of efficient proof search

Abstract: Applications of logic are generally motivated by the desire to
prove things, since that is what logics do best. Or do they? It is true
that a given logic may allow one to find out whether a given expression is
provable or not, but too often the obvious algorithms for proving that a
particular expression is a theorem are woefully inefficient.

These poorly performing proof search algorithms are usually based upon some
standard notion of a proof in some kind of deductive system which can
derive the logical theorems.
Since the algorithms are based in standard proof theory, the best (if not
the easiest) way of improving upon them is to improve the underlying proof
theory. Many logics which are useful for representing grammars of natural
languages are propositional and decidable, making the
proof of theorems especially straightforward. But if the search for these
proofs is inefficient, there is still a problem at hand.

In this presentation, I will summarize two distinct past approaches to more
efficient proof systems in logics, namely the "matrices with connections"
approach developed for classical and intuitionistic logic, and the "proof
nets" that were developed for linear logic. Both  techniques derive from
noticing that standard proof algorithms in a Gentzen-style sequent calculus
are inefficient because the deductive system is overly redundant, and so
the search space for proofs becomes bloated. The improved methods can each
be characterized as successfully eliminating the redundancy by homing in on
"correctness conditions" that must be met by, in each case, a novel
representation of a proof structure.

So, efficient proof search is already a solved problem---sort of. The
trouble is, the successful solutions are "ad hoc" and specific to a couple
of different logics. No one seems to understand why they work, in a
sufficiently general sense. In applying logics for grammar and computation,
we would like to be able to specify an arbitrary propositional logic within
a broadly defined class, and have an efficient proof search algorithm
available for every logic in the class. This is as yet an unsolved problem,
but we are getting close. In this talk I would like to discuss a unified
and more principled view of new proof representations for efficient proof
search in a large class of propositional logics, which I believe is the
latest work in progress on this problem.

Margery Ishmael
Department of Computer Science
1100 E. 58th St.
Chicago, IL 60637