Reminder: Talk by John Gathright, Keck Observatory, Hawaii - Friday 26 May

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu May 25 17:04:46 CDT 2000

Department of Computer Science/The University of Chicago

Ryerson Hall -- 1100 E. 58th Street

COLLOQUIUM  ANNOUNCEMENT

Friday, 26 May
Ryerson 251 at 4:30 pm
(followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255)

JOHN GATHRIGHT
Keck Observatory
Kamuela, Hawaii

Presents:
Web-Based Controls for the Keck Adaptive Optics System
The William M. Keck Observatory operates two 10-meter telescopes at the
summit of Mauna Kea, a 14,000-foot extinct volcano on the Big Island in
Hawaii. The harsh conditions at the telescope site and isolation of the
observatory itself provide strong motivation for developing the ability to
control the telescopes remotely, from the Kamuela headquarters initially,
and subsequently -- indeed, beginning this month -- from designated sites
in California.
Three years ago, we began investigating the feasibility of a web-based tool
set with which to build the user interface for Keck's Adaptive Optics (AO)
system. This presentation will first introduce the observatory and AO
system in general, and then cover certain of their features in order to
provide the context for a discussion of the design and implementation of
the emerging product, which we call the WUI -- Web-based User
Interface.  The WUI approach is now being extended to additional major
observatory components, including the Active Control System (for the
primary mirror) and the Interferometer (being built in conjunction with the
Jet Propulsion Laboratory). The steps necessary to accommodate systems for
which the product was not originally designed make an interesting case
study in software re-use; in particular we will touch on the role of the
Common Object Request Broker Architecture (CORBA) has come to play at the
observatory in integrating disparate systems.

Time and the network spirits (demons?) permitting, there will be a short
demonstration, during which we will build a new WUI screen and use it to
control some aspect of the telescope.

Margery Ishmael
Project Assistant

Department of Computer Science