Reminder and time change - Mitsunori Ogihara's talk on 13 Dec.

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Dec 12 11:37:11 CST 2000

Please note: this talk will now take place at 3:00
instead of 2:30 as originally announced

DNA-Based Parallel Boolean Circuit Evaluation

Mitsunori Ogihara
University of Rochester

Wednesday, December 13, 3:00 pm
Ryerson Annex 276
(followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255)

Abstract:
DNA-based computation is a new field that integrates molecular biology and
computer science. The goal of the field is to study the use of liquid-phase
DNA for massively parallel computation. The potential of using DNA for
computation lies in the fact that DNA has large
memory capacity (10^22 bits in one liter of DNA solution) and that
biochemical operations are inherently parallel and dissipate little energy.
The drawbacks are that biochemical operations are slow and sometimes
error-prone.

A paper by Adleman in 1994 presented the first DNA-based algorithm, which
is for solving the Hamilton Path Problem. Lipton extended Adleman's idea
and showed that SAT, the basic NP-complete problem, could be solved using
DNA. Since then, various DNA computational models have been proposed and
many DNA-based algorithms have been
developed. Two most important issues in this field are to clarify the power
of DNA-based computation and to find killer applications, i.e., the
problems in which DNA are more efficient than silicon-based computers.

In this talk I will speak about simulation of logic-gates using DNA. First,
I will show how one can simulate AND and OR using DNA and then based on the
construction how one can evaluate the output of a Boolean circuit on a
given input. Then I will discuss the issue of eliminating human
intervention in circuit evaluation. Finally, I will talk about
characterization of DNA-based computation in terms of Boolean circuit
complexity.

Host: Stuart Kurtz

Margery Ishmael
Department of Computer Science